Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My partner has fatigue, light headedness, palpitations,

My partner has fatigue, light headedness, palpitations, recurrent thrush and numbness/tingling/burning in feet. Blood tests came back negative for diabetes, but in exam he told doctor about a 'mass' in his left breast, about an inch long, and about 7mm across, which is above his left nipple. Doc has said a biopsy is needed. I'm so worried he has some form of cancer - he has been not feeling well for a good six months and I can't help thinking of metastatic cancer.
He had two pleurectomies last year, which we had put the slight discomfort and mass down to before - maybe some kind of operative side effect. He was a smoker for 20 years until this year, a heavy drinker in youth but not for roughly ten years now.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am sorry about your partner.

has his thrush in his mouth and tongue been treated with antifungal treatments?

thrush can be a sign of suppressed immune system. he should get an HIV test just to be sure he doesn't have HIV.

male breast cancer is rare, but can happen. hopefully the biopsy of the nipple mass will show a benign cyst or lump there. not all breast masses in men are breast cancer.

pleurectomies can be very draining and fatiguing as well.

I am a cancer doctor

chances for metastatic cancer is very low

he should start with a breast ultrasound scan first to see if the mass is solid or filled with fluid

and if it has benign or more malignant characteristics.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im case this affects your assessment - His thrush was not oral, but genital - it did clear up with treatment. The pleurectomies were over a year ago (one nearly two years), and it is only the last six months at most he has been fatigued. He has no history of breast cancer in the family, and there is no chance at all of HIV. Also, there has been no weight loss but he has always been very slim and tall. Appetite not affected and no nausea, but a lot of lightheadedness without exertion or for any apparent reason.
Do you really think cancer is very unlikely? Given the wait times for biopsy appointments (his GP said he would ask for one) I will be worrying for some time. He has a couple of days every now and then when symptoms disappear and he feels well and strong - that wouldn't happen if he had cancer, would it? Thank you, I'm just so worried for him.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

yes, I still think cancer and metastatic cancer at his age is unlikely

an ultrasound of the breast will be faster to get than a biopsy.

cancer symptoms wouldn't come and go.

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - the assessment, and especially the part about cancer symptoms not coming and going was reassuring. I wish we could get an ultrasound but on the NHS we have to take what we can get! :-) Thanks, ***** ***** now, have a nice day.