Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I just started using a new shampoo after starting in a new

I just started using a new shampoo after starting in a new workplace. It has a strong smell which I am immediately aware from the first use. I wash my hair every other day. My manager has just pulled me aside and told me that someone said I have BO on some days at work. I have never had BO. I know I don't have BO. I did n't like the shampoo because of the smell, so I was going to go back to my usual shampoo after finishing the bottle I have. Does the smell of shampoo count as BO? I thought BO was the smell of sweat.
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

It can be possible that such new shampoo has caused your scalp smelly.

So whenever you wash your hair on every other day then other persons around you smell such odor from your scalp and considered it as bad body odor.

So I advise you to discontinue it for further use.

Also use your usual shampoo.

Also use antiperspirants contain aluminium chloride.

Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

Take bath regularly.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Waiting for your response.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I shower every day and I change my clothes every day. I do not have BO. It is the smell of the shampoo, which is strong. So on the days I have washed my hair, it has a very strong smell. It is not classed as body odour because body odour is defined as an unpleasant smell of a person's unwashed body. Whereas the smell is coming from washed hair. It is not actually BO, right?

Actually BO can be used for any smell coming from person in routine language.

Typically,smell from washed hair is not BO(body odor).

Your manager or colleagues don't know the nature or source of odor from you so they just told you body odor in general term.

Try to discontinue this shampoo to see if it helps.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please to not forget a positive rating and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The manager ignored what I said and told me, "you must have a medical condition".Is there a test at my local GP I can do to test I do not have BO? I have been working for 20 years and no-one has every said anything to me before because I have never had BO. I have nothing to hide.

You should see your GP for a clinical examination and if required urine and blood test can be done accordingly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will find out if the employer would pay for that. If not, I am not going because I don't have BO, so it is a waste of my time and money. I will speak to my employer and find out. I am sure they will change their mind and say there is no problem, as I have stopped using the shampoo. This shampoo is cheap Aldi shampoo. Do you find that it is common with cheap shampoos?

It depends on ingredients of shampoo.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you please remove my question from the public forum? It is sensitive information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time.

Yes,I'll close this question.