Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I've been taking the mini pill Cerelle since November and I

Customer Question

Hi there,
I've been taking the mini pill Cerelle since November and I feel like it's not agreeing with me at all anymore. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks and have had PMS symptoms for the last two weeks (sore breasts, headaches, dizziness, cramps, feeling sick, sore back). I want to stop taking this pill as soon as possible as I feel terrible and want to get my cycle back to normal. I last had unprotected sex on Monday evening, i was wondering when it would be safe to stop taking Cerelle, would it be possible to stop now and use barrier methods? Kind regards, emma
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It would be better to continue the mini-pill for a week after the last sexual encounter. The primary effect of the mini-pill is on cervical mucus, so would be effective on the day of intercourse, but it also has an effect the lining of the uterus, which would be an issue about a week later. If you were to stop now, you would have most of the effectiveness of the mini-pill, but if you want the maximal effectiveness, it would be better to continue the mini-pill for a week after that intercourse.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, the question can be directed to me through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/