Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My year old caught a bug at nursery. The first symptoms

Hi, my year old caught a bug at nursery. The first symptoms appeared last Thursday with diahorrea. On Friday she was vomiting too and we felt she was a bit listless so we brought her to A&E at a children’s hospital where she got some fluids(orally) and we were told to keep her hydrated. We’ve been encouraging her to drink the mixture they had in the hospital – dioralyte with Ribena and water. She’s not taking it with any enthusiasm but we are getting her to take as much as we can. She is barely eating at all. We brought her to a doctor on Sunday who gave us a referral to the same hospital and the same thing happened – they just gave us the same solution to give her. When they told us to leave they pretty much said not to come back and keep her drinking. We’ve been doing that since but she’s still got diahorrea, she’s still vomiting, she still doesn’t want to drink and is very reluctant to eat. She is losing weight and I don’t know what to do now, she doesn’t appear to be getting any better.
Have you any advice? I don’t know where to go or what to do at this stage.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. My name is***** and I will try to help uou. I am really sorry to hear about your problem. Diarrhea persisting for more than 4 days is not likely to just a viral infection. Your daughter is suffering from a bacterial gastroenteritis and she needs antibiotics for sure. You should take her to A & England because they should start her with antibiotics. Reluctance to drink and eat means that she is getting worse so please don't wait. If you have any syrup for vomiting you can give it to her or there is an over the counter available syrup dramamine half tea spoon. You can give it to her till you take her to A & E. This is not something that can just be treated with fluids. Don't worry definitely this is treatable and she is going to be alright. I wish her good luck for an early recovery. My goal is to provide you with excellent service but if you have received anything less you can ask. I am here to assist you till you want. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much. We'll take her now.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. My best wishes and prayers will be following her. Your positive feedback is requested. Regards