Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I am suffering with sore throat, where something seems to be

Customer Question

I am suffering with sore throat, where something seems to be in the throat making it difficult to breath. I have been given antibiotics, paracetamol, ibuprofen and a spray called difflam. All to bring my throat down a little, however my throat does not tend to hurt just feels very swollen. Ive had one doctor say its lingual tonsillitis another say to do with lymph nodes swollen due to infection. It has been 6-7 days now and the symptoms of something in my throat persist. I have had a ENT doctor put a camera down my throat saying all seems healthy. Still, I just feel a little lost whether this is true or not.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

have you tried treatment for allergies or acid reflux?

do you have symptoms of either one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been reading online about the possibility of acid reflux and wondered if it was due to this I would not know what the symptoms are.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have never been tested for allergies however growing up I have never not taken something, all medications have always seemed to have been fine for me to take with no side effects.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am new to this site, so do not know the time in which I should wait for a response. I accepted the offer to make sure you can answer my questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also it seemed I had tonsil stones on the sides of my tonsils just as I look into my mouth, I removed them they was only small. A part of me feels like there is one at the back of my tongue, is this possible? I know there are tonsils there also, with crypts. I am trying to work out if the feeling I have is a tonsil stone or just inflammation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but I am waiting on your response, having seen that your first response was quick I was expecting a similarly quick response. I am new to this site and am confused with the pricing options, I am feeling I have pressed the wrong thing and stopped the option for you to reply to me. I do not know.

I'm here. No worries.

Tell me about the acid reflux?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I say I do not know about the symptoms. I have been burping a little but no heart burn or anything like that. However I haven't been eating to much either, due to my throat feeling so closed.

I would get in touch with your doctor and try prilosec 20 mg daily

see if it improves

I bet it will

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try see them tomorrow about this. I have beside me Pepto Bismol for heartburn, can this be used as a similar method for helping what you seem to think it is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am also living in the uk, is prilosec 20 mg available in the uk.

omeprazole in the UK

yes pepto is okay but not long term

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will continue to drink some of that pepto for a little while and see the doctor tomorrow. I did look up the version UK and yeah, it seems that is its name here.Do you think it could be anything else other then this? I have felt like it could be this and it was mis diagnosed as tonsillitis or the other two I have been told up to now which is the lymph nodes being swollen or lingual tonsillitis however ive not pain or soreness. I was wanting to know also, is there any possibility of the back of my tongue forming a tonsil stone? Just this has been plaguing my mind ever since it first came.

allergies are a possibility too

and tonsils stones can do it

some folks make tonsil stone after tonsil stone

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just to clarify, the back of my tongue can create tonsil stones, like the ones beside my tongue that I can see in the mirror?and to also clarify, if it is one, who do I ask to check back there and remove it? If it is that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, will tonsil stones if that is what it is work its own way out or does some need removal by professional?I had to refer to this as right now I feel like no other person is giving me as helpful information as you are, so thank you.

Yes, that is correct

I would see an ENT doctor to do this