Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Louise here Does smelling an unusual smell signify a mental

Hello Louise Wood here
Does smelling an unusual smell signify a mental disorder? Psychosis or dementia?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. My name is***** and I will try to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Smelling something when it's not there can be due to two possible causes. It can be due to inflammation of the olfactory nerve. It's a nerve present in the roof of the nose. This inflammation can occur due to allergies or sinus infections or sometime just due to flu. This is the most common cause of this symptom. The other possible but rare cause can be brain lesion like some mass inside. Dementia or psychosis is least likely to cause this but yes they can be considered as a possible cause. You can start using over the counter available nasacort nasal spray 2 puffs twice daily. Hopefully you will start feeling better. If symptoms persist after 2 weeks, see your doctor and get further evaluation done. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service but if you have received anything less than that you can ask anything you want. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay i usually speak to Dr Phil and he always eases my fears but you have not totally discounted something like brain lesion, dementia or psychosis. I think i have frightened myself more by asking the question!
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks a lot for your input. I am an ear nose and throat specialist and dealing with smell disorders is my speciality. Do you have any symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, trickling in throat, headache, memory loss etc? Since how long you have this smell problem? Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The smell problem only today. I have now my usual summer allergies/asthma etc.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your input. Oh with just one day history it is nothing but just due to your allergy. Brain lesion, dementia or anything else is out of question. I reassure you and give you my words. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou. I was smelling something just now coming into work but think it was rape seed around the fields in the area.
I just really dont want anything to be wrong with me.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Yes I can understand your anxiety but with this much short history I reassure you and give you my words that nothing is wrong with your brain. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou dr hassan.
Just to say re memory loss. I have had memory loss as u will see from my many questions with dr phil - can you see all that? Ive had long running anxiety especially about dementia and before that psychosis. Perhaps i am connecting dots that are not there......
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Yes I do understand but currently you are stressing yourself for something that doesn't exist in your case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou again.
Sometimes, like this evening, i cant think of correct words, like just now i was trying to describe bletchley park to a friend and i couldnt think of the word stately as in stately home and was thinking of another way to describe it which wasnt really accurate. I have asked dr phil similar questions re this sort of thing but he was never worried......
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Frankly speaking I am also not worried. You seems to be stressing too much on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thankyou. Every now and then i get stressed about it all again.
Sometimes i think i hear my own thoughts like - earlier i was thinking about when i asked mum if she wanted to go into the garden at her care home and it was like it had volume u know? Is this ok doctor?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

It's in your head only

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay.
Is it okay to sometimes think of yourself in the 3rd person? Or imagine that someone else is thinking like 'she did that' etc.......
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

It's not OK but it has no relation with any physical disorder. Please remember to rate the answer. Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
norhing to do with a brain problem?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Not at all