Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I'm 45 and am on my 16th day of HRT (prem pak). Since I

Customer Question

I'm 45 and am on my 16th day of HRT (prem pak). Since I started going through the menopause I've put on a ton of weight (2st) and have also been drinking too much for some time. I made the decision 2.5 weeks ago to deal with both of those things and am now allowing myself to drink only 2 days a week and have started working with a trainer - lots of kickboxing and resistance work - three days a week plus walking for 3-4 miles two days a week. However, despite that my skinfold
Measurements in my arms, chest and thighs have increased and my weight has gone up by a pound. I've lost 15.5mm/2.5in on my waist but WHY am I still getting bigger when I was told that there would be NO HRT side effects for someone my age (including weight gain which I asked about specifically)??
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I’d be happy to assist you.
Myself Doctor Anil- a board certified medical consultant with more than 30 years of experience in medical field.
It's my pleasure.

Well as you describe,you should check your thyroid panel to rule out thyroid dysfunction which is main contributing factor in unexplained weight gain even doing exercises after menopause.

Even take dietary modifications along with your exercise regimen.

The menopause is associated with a decrease in the resting metabolic rate that reduces the utilisation of calories and hence increases body weight.

There are clinical studies which had shown no weight gain with HRT.

For further details-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10759058.

If your weight gets persistent increase over the time then see an Endocrinologist for further evaluation and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Waiting for your response.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.