Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm on my period and I've got serious vaginal itching, there

Customer Question

I'm on my period and I've got serious vaginal itching, there aren't any other symptoms... what could be the cause and is there anytgibg I can do to sort it out myself at home without having to go out and see someone, I'm 16.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't mean to ask for a call just then, please ignore the request!
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The most common cause of vaginal itching, either during your period or otherwise, is a yeast infection of the vagina. There are other infections that can also cause itching, such as bacterial overgrowth of the vagina, but they less commonly cause itching.

There is no ready way to prove whether there is a vaginal infection at home, although some women may chose to use an over the counter antifungal medicine to see if the symptoms improve.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would you suggest I relieve the pain?

I thought you said that you were having vaginal itching but no other symptoms.

However, it would be fine to use any over the counter pain medicine to help ease any pain that is present.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant the itching pain

Itching is different than pain. Soaking in warm bath water can help to ease the itching. It also would be OK to take an over the counter medicine for itching that contains an antihistamine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried the bath thing earlier and it didn't really help... if anything it may have made it worse

Then the next step would be to try the above medicine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't call, and i can't get anywhere to buy the medicine, because I'm in a village, can't drive (obviously) and i can't tell my mum - long story. I had hoped you'd have an idea of something I could do at home to relieve the itching but it's sounding like you can't help me...