Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My son is 8. He loves playing tennis. In practice, if he ts

My son is 8. He loves playing tennis. In practice, if he hits 10 shots and 1 goes in the net, he throws his raquet, argues, shouts, and ultimately cries. There is no pressure on him to win games or even points from external sources - this appears to be all his own upset. His crying and anger is disrupting the groups that he plays with and I am at the point of removing him. Do you have any advice?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

his emotional outbursts could be how he is dealing with disappointment in this part of his life

or could be from more serious development or psychological issues

the only way to be sure is to have him seen by his GP doctor or a pediatric psychologist for evaluation.

this could be manifestation of anxiety or disappointment or stress from something else he is experiencing at home or school.

is he doing well in school?

is there any other stress factors at home or school ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr David. No, there are no other stressors at home and he is doing ok at school. I don't feel that taking him to our GP is appropriate as I'm sure there are patients with medical issues who they should be helping! I think that my son is just not mentally old enough to deal with disappointment and so we will try again later when he is older. When we talk with him, he just says that he is angry with himself and can't stop it.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I see.

this could very normal for him at this part of his life

as he and his mind gets older and his brain and emotions mature, he most likely will be able to deal with disappointments better as he gets older

many parents go through these phases with their children.

keeping stressful events to a minimum at home can help

I hope this helps

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com