DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am taking 50 mg of Atenolol daily to lower pressure under

I am taking 50 mg of Atenolol daily to lower pressure under my doctors supervision. I visit him every 6 months and have full blood test readings and an ECG each time. I had a 24 hour cuff placed on my arm and overall readings were fine. At my last visit on Tuesday last all my tests were fine. Echo was excellent. My doctor suggested a change of my blood pressure tablet to Teneret 50 mg which has the same amount of atenolol but an added amount of diuretic. I still have a months supply of original tablet to take . He assured me no urgency in changing and to finish that furst. My question to you please is Do I have to take a diuretic. I hate any change in medication as it caused me upset years ago. Could I ask my doctor if I could stay on my original medication and drink more water as I am afraid of side effects of a diuretic. Many thanks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

There is no reason to add a diuretic if the atenelol works for you and controls your blood pressure.

Ask your doctor why he is doing this.

If there is no medical reason, don't do it.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks doctor. Is there any immediate danger in not taking a diuretic ? Is it possible just to increase blood pressure dosage instead ?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I do not do phone calls.

Please let me know what other questions you have