DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

In had two blood tests measuring uric acid level and it

In had two blood tests measuring uric acid level and it showed twice as much as upper limit every time. I need to check it twice a day, but Uasure or similar devices and the stripes are very expensive and I can't afford to cover this cost. Is it refunded by NHS as diabetic devices and strips are?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

There no protocol for checking uric acid.

It is not something you monitor daily.

Don't know why you think this.

Once you know it is high, if you have gout, you then take measures, and recheck it in several months.

NO, there is no specific reimbursment, or strips for this. It is a blood test.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In this country it might be not. This is why I went to Poland and had a consultation with one of the best specialist in Europe. In the UK after several blood tests so called doctors were not able to find a reason of my continuing for over 7 years joints pain.
I need to measure the level of uric acid twice a day to get precise level and adjust a diet and eventually (if applying only a diet will not help) chose the best medicine. There are some devices such as UASure, Benecheck or EasyLife used in the same way as devices to measure glucose level by diabetics. My question was if this devices and stripes are refundable or partially refundable by NHS. I did not ask if I need to use them as I already know I need.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I see.

No

The NHS is not going to refund these.

Please reverse your negative rating with a positive.

A negative rating means I don't get paid by just answer.