Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My blood test results show I have liver damage, Is my liver

My blood test results show I have liver damage, Is my liver damage down to to Hep B vaccine I had 4 years ago. I just read online Hep B Vaccine Damages The Liver It Is Supposed To Protect/HepB Vaccine Causes Liver Disease: Science Shows Howhttp://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/hep-b-vaccine-damages-liver-it-supposed-protect
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/hepb-vaccine-causes-liver-disease-science-shows-how
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The blood tests that show liver damage typically does not indicate the cause of the damage. Statistically, there are many other conditions that are more likely to be the cause of the abnormal blood tests than an effect of the hepatitis B vaccine, but your doctor would need to perform a proper evaluation to determine the cause of the abnormal blood tests.

So, the most likely answer is no, it is not due to the vaccine, but to be able to know with certainty, it would require further evaluation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What sort of tests should be done?

It would vary according to the blood test results, but an imaging test, such as an ultrasound, is frequently the next test.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if the Ultrasound or imaging test show liver damage, how can you find out the cause? The cause is most likely the Hep B vaccine because before that, the liver was fine.

Yes, the ultrasound may identify the cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can the ultrasound identify the cause?

Because the cause may be seen by the ultrasound, such as gallstones or fatty infiltration of the liver.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But how does the ultrasound know if it's Hep B vaccine or something else?

Because the ultrasound may identify another cause of the abnormal blood work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does abnormal blood work mean?

It only means that there is something that has affected the liver. You need to have an evaluation to determine what that is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ultrasound knows if the Hep B vaccine caused liver damage?

As I said above, the ultrasound may identify another cause of the abnormal blood work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you reword that, I don't understand what it means

How does any test indicate anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't follow?!

If you do not understand a clear statement about the ultrasound, I am going to use the Socratic method to get you to that level of understanding.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the tests show if there's anything wrong. And you're saying ultrasound will show if there's something wrong and will know if it's Hep B vaccine that is the cause of the liver damage?

If the ultrasound shows another cause, then that would be the cause rather than the vaccine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does the ultrasound know if it's Hep B vaccine or my own body that's causing it?

Because it may show another cause.

You obviously ate something for a meal the day before the blood was drawn. How does any test prove that the meal did not cause the abnormal blood test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are very difficult to understand

These are the issues to understand if you want to have a better understanding of causation. Or you can accept the statement that the ultrasound may show another cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand what you say

What do you not understand when I say that the ultrasound may show another cause?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK so the ultrasound can identify the cause if it's Hep B vaccine or something else?

It can identify if it is something else.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can it identify if it's the Hep B vaccine that caused the liver damage?

No. It can identify other causes, and if another cause is identified, then that would be the cause.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ultrasound can identify causes? And if it's another cause than that cause is the Hep B vaccine?

I am sorry for the delay, but I lost my internet connection.

The ultrasound can identify certain causes, but as I said above, you need an evaluation, not just an ultrasound. The ultrasound is frequently the first step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should I ask my GP in the evaluation?

You only need to ask for an evaluation to determine the cause of the abnormal lab results.