DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

Twice in the last two months I have awoken with almost no

Customer Question

Twice in the last two months I have awoken with almost no movement in my arms or legs or back. On the first occasion i was given tablets to take for a month and then come back if it still isn't right. On the most recent occasion i was physically sick twice which i should add i nearly choked up and then awoke some hours later to very little movement and was taken to hospital. I was sent home after 3 hours with enough diazepam for three days and advised to see my GP for a neurology referral. Just wondering what to expect and whether it's worth going private as the current NHS waiting list is 20 weeks.
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

Lack of movements in the arms and legs is a significant symptom. This definitely need evaluation . A visit to neurologist is definitely advisable and i think after examining you he might send you for an MRI . Important thiing to rule out is the presence of any clot in your brain. At time the clot just goes and give symptoms for few hours or days and then it passes through the blood circulation. A source of such clot through the heart should also be investigated. So my advise would be to see a neurologist

please do let me know if you have any more question I you are done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was involved in a motorcycle accident 25 yrs ago where I bruised my brain, had severe frontal collusion and was in coma for 5 months, could this then be relevant ?? I've had never had any side effects since
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
was involved in a motorcycle accident 25 yrs ago where I bruised my brain, had severe frontal collusion and was in coma for 5 months, could this then be relevant ?? I've had never had any side effects since.

Your history of trauma is significant as scaring of the brain after head injury can give rise to many kind of symptoms.

In my opinion you do need further evaluation

please do let me know if you have any more question

I you are done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have rated you 5 stars and will hopefully be back later for an update post a GP visit, Many Thx

my pleasure

good luck please use this link to ask any further question from me

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-ehtisham/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have visited my gp and am going to be referred to a neurologist. Do you think i may gain anything from accupuncture in the mean time as there is a 24 week wait for an initial consulation.
Thx

Acupuncturist claims that patient do benefit from such treatment as it is a form of alternative medicine so yes you can give it a try