Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I have a very unusual problem and i can't find any info on

Customer Question

I have a very unusual problem and i can't find any info on or feel anyone has experience in.
I became allergic to hair dye after using home dye about 3 years ago. I was always fine in the hairdressers. My symptoms aren't skim related, they are all internal. Feel very heavy, feel insides just not right. Can last for 2/3 days. Even doing patch test behind ear has same effect. So this might not be unusual but...
I've also tried a very natural product being henna. Made sure it's pure. Same symptoms. Very odd to be allergic to both.
I've had beauty treatments for years too. Last year for 2 hols i had my eye brows plucked and bikini line waxed. Felt ill,same symptoms. Going to get them done separately but i think it's the plucking.
This also relates to one more unusual thing. I've had electrolysis on my upper lip in the past and all fine. Decided to get a some sessions last year and having continued into this year. Again feel ill and same symptoms.
Usually start feeling ill a few hours after, normally in bed.
I just feel there must be a link to all of this. My body fights something.
I have bupa through my work. Could a dermatologist help me?
Can you explain what's happening to my body?
Any thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated as i now feel I'm at a dead end.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Can you please answer the following questions so that I can help you out in a better way:

Do you have any other medical problems?

Are you on any medications for anything?

Do you have any other medical problems?

Please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no other medical problems apart from... I take phenilzine for depression. I started this march 2012. My hair dye issue started the next year. I know it's an old fashioned drug but don't think linked. I became allergic to chemical hair dye when i first tried a home dye.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the late response as I was away. I will now be online for a few hours now from the time that you receive my message.

It is not so uncommon for people to develop allergies to various things like what you have experienced, later in life.

One can, in fact, become allergic to things that they have been using for a long period of time.

The exact cause of why this happens is not known.

The best thing to do, obviously is to avoid things that you recognise that you are allergic to.

If symptoms are severe then you will require medications to help suppress your allergies like antihistamines, topical steroids and so forth.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards