DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I work in a school and there is chickenpox going around at

Customer Question

Hello there
I work in a school and there is chickenpox going around at the moment. I've had chicken pox and so has my son and daughter in law, but she is 8 weeks pregnant. The question is am I safe to visit my son and daughter in law and not pass on the virus to their unborn baby?
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

If you are not suffering from chicken pox and you already have an attack of chicken pox this is very unlikely that you will spread the infection to your daughter specially if she also suffered an attack of chicken pox. Second attack of chicken pox is a very rare occurrence. Reactivation of chicken pox virus can lead to shingles. Although as i mentioned the chances for you to spread such infection to your daughter are very low but its not 100% safe to go and see her.If you are out of an area where there is chicken pox for 3 or more weeks and you don,t develop any symptoms than its absolutely safe .

Feel free to ask if you have any more question

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's very unlikely that the 8 week old fetus will be affected?Kind regards

Yes very low chances

Good luck