Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Darby here .ive been trying to research the damage

Hi Peter darby here .ive been trying to research the damage fluvoxamine/olanzapine can cause after cessation of both drugs.i took fluoxatine from 1990-1994 then fluvoxamine from 1994 to 2014.In conjunction to this i was perscribed olanzapine from 2007 to 2014 After weaning of both for 6 months ive experianced 2yrs3 months of chronic insomnia chronic all over body pain,nausea and chill,extreme fatigue,numb left hand and nose if i get at all chilled,flu symptoms. ,erectile dissfunction,dental and jaw pain, and premature urge to urinate when bladder is onlyone third to one half full. i beleive i have neuropathic pain and im trying to substanciate my theory that these sympyoms are a result of my long term use of these drugs.your comments please and any links you might be usefull to me
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

This is Dr. David

why were you taking the fluoxatine and fluvoxamine and olanzapine medications? did you have depression or excessive anxiety symptoms?

did you have these symptoms like chronic pain when you were taking these medications?

erectile dysfunction can be caused by low testosterone levels at your age

have you had your testosterone levels checked?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
i had clinical depression from 1990 to 1994. no i did not have any of these symptoms whilst on medication.I decided to quit the medication as i had NO depression or anxiety for 20 yrs!!!!!!!.The meds where also making me feel "wooly" in the head,just not on the ball,social interaction became harder as i could not initiate conversations,etc.Never mind the E D ,i respectfully ***** ***** to address the rest of my question. Thank you. ***** download the app to communicate with you somewhat more quickly than one response every 24 hrs.Would you accept £20.00 deposit
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Really need a neurologist to answer these questions

you didn't answer my other questions.

SSRI agents can cause sexual dysfunction and lack of sex drive, but at your age, declines of testosterone levels can cause this as well.

you need your testosterone levels checked to see if they are low.

many of your symptoms are not specific for any neurological conditions.

all over your body pains can be from fibromyalgia, or polymyalgia rheumatica or osteoarthritis.

you need a full physical and blood panel workup

there are many many patients who take those medications for many years without your symptoms.

so it would be unlikely for those medications to be causing your symptoms.

why do you have a theory that taking those antidepression medications would have caused all of your symptoms currently?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
After 2yrs 3months without a diagnosis from the rheumatology dept,the pain clinicor my G P,i was refered to a psychiatrist who says the symptoms ive been suffering from for over two yrs are a somatic delusion!!!!! The reason i suspect the meds i was on are to blame is that there is NO other cause.I also suspected fybromyalgia ,but i do not have any of the depression or anxiety attached to fybro.Also you do not spontaneously develop fybro,its caused by trauma,surgery,shinglesor post traumatic stress syndrome,none of which i suffer from.Moreover all of these symptoms started immediatly i stopped taking olanzapine 5mg/dayand fluvoxamine 200mg/day

not all fibromyalgia patients have depression or anxiety.

medications like cymbalta or lyrica or savella can help with fibromyalgia.

you should ask your doctor to try one of these medications to see if they help your body aches and pains.

it doesn't sound like you are willing to go back on olanzapine or fluvoxamine, even if going back on them would help your symptoms since you didn't have these symptoms while on these medications.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
have had full physical and extensive blood tests and all is well on that front.Im normally fit physically,not overweight and work in a sawmill every day.Only thing is my ferritin level is slightly above the normal limit

thanks for that information.

it could still be fibromyalgia which is causing your body aches and pains.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
In the U K you cannot have your seratonin,dopamine or melatonin levels on the national health. You have to go private to get such information

I didn't tell you to get those levels checked.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no im just trying to give you some background info.have had to self diagnose so some of my info has not been proven

blood levels for seratonin, dopamine or meatonin don't help with brain levels of these neurotransmitters.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
O K so from the info ive given you,canyou shed any ligth on a diagnosis???
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I beleive i have neuropathic pain,which is causing the insomnia,caused by damage to my peripheral nerve endings

all over your body pains can be from fibromyalgia, or polymyalgia rheumatica or osteoarthritis

low testosterone levels can cause erectile dysfunction at this point.

lack of exercise, too much caffeine, poor sleep habits can cause insomnia.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your info i have made a note of your suggestions.Unfortunatly,without any diagnosis,even from the rheumatology dept,who you would think could recognise fibromyalga,and with such a long period of pain and insomnia,has made me highly suspicious of all pharmacutical drugs.Currently im taking gabapentin 600mg TTD.This helped reduce the pain to a tolerable level.then,under a medical practitioner,I began a course of vit B complex,curcumin and folic acid .thank goodnes,more pain relief.As I have reacted to the above meds,surely this confirms i have developed neuropathic pain from somewhere,and without any other meaningfull diagnosis,am i am not right in thinking my nerve endings have been damaged.arent there tests for nerve damage??????
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I dont drink coffee,exercise every day and always try to go to sleep around 11.30.i think you under estimate the pain ive been suffering from,thats whats causing the insomnia.im up twice in the night,only sleep for an hour or an hour and a half ,and always go to bed withall over pain and headache and wake abruptly with the same
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
This is true.Having experianced relief from gaba and having relief from vit complex,folic,curcumin,im loathe to go back on them as i still do not know why my body reacted so violently to the cessation of olanzapine/fluvoxamine and has given me persistant symptoms ever since.Can you answer some of my recent questions now

you can see a neurologist and get EMG nerve conduction studies, but I bet your nerve function will be normal.

that is good the gabapentin is working for you. that is a sign you most likely have fibromyalgia

ask your rheumatologist if you may have polymyalgia rheumatica and if a course of steroid medications could help your pain.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for everything tonight,its been very informative.One last question.Would an MRI or CT be usefull to establish nerve ENDING damage or an N C T Thanks again

no, CT scan or MRI scan would not see nerve ending damage.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there ANY way of determining nerve ending damage,skin sensetivity,skin temperature?????

you can have a small nerve biopsy.

but I bet the biopsy results will show normal nerves.

you can also ask your doctor for blood test for ANA, ESR and other blood tests to check for autoimmune disorders which can cause antibodies which can attack your own nerves.

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Dr David Again very infomative and usefull info.Please direct me to the site where i can make you a donation