Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Is it safe to take nasal Fluticasone (rhinitis) at the same

Hi - is it safe to take nasal Fluticasone (rhinitis) at the same time as my asthma meds? I take ventolin and becotide? (Think it's subatamol and beclamethasone)?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, it is fine to use the fluticasone nasal spray at the same time as the Ventolin and Becotide inhalers. Of course, the fluticasone and beclomethsone are both steroids, but since they are being administered to different anatomic locations, it is fine to use them at the same time.

It is recommended that someone using a steroid inhaler gargle and rinse the mouth after each use to avoid side effects, such as throat irritation or mouth dryness, and this is also true if both the inhaler and nasal spray are used at the same time.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks doc - is it possible to OD on steroids?

Not on inhaled and sprayed steroids used at recommended doses. There is very little steroids absorbed into the system when applied to the lungs and even less when applied to the nose, and the systemic effect is minimal. There are rare cases of people that develop adrenal suppression from steroids, but it is primarily a risk when using higher doses of the inhaled steroids, but even that is not considered an overdose. However, it is wise to taper off higher doses of inhaled steroids.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant! Thanks Doctor!