Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I guess I am wondering if anyone can help suggest a

I guess I am wondering if anyone can help suggest a reason/solution for my chronic apathy/depression.
It really makes no logical sense. Recently, I quit a job which was causing me massive stress and unhappiness, in order to pursue a career in art. I have money saved so I don't have to rush out and get a new job and I am living with my very supportive parents. So I should be jumping for joy at this opportunity, right? Instead I have plunged into depression, procrastinated to the point of doing nothing daily, and withdrawn from all relationships, including splitting up with my boyfriend.
Instead of getting the passion back for my craft (which I now have time for) I have contempt for my previous goals, seeing them as immature and unattainable. I don't see any value in any of my actions and am wondering what the point of doing anything is...(not to a suicidal degree, I hasten to add).
Underneath it all, I remain a reasonably intelligent person, who has no difficulty in working out day-to-day problems, so why has my passion and happiness died? And why is this 'sudden' depression appeared to ruin the chance I have worked so hard for?!
Ppl try to help by saying 'Know what you want, and go for it' but that doesn't help when every option feels equally as unsatisfying.
(Desperate not to be this zombie-person anymore)
Thanks for reading
K
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

depression can be impossible to predict.

often times there is no rhyme or reason for depression symptoms.

intelligence has nothing to do with it

if you are still having depression, chronic apthy, you need to see your GP doctor

there are treatments for depression which could help you.

if you don't seek help, you may very well continue to suffer with depression symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr David,Many thanks for your answer. If it is mostly the work of depression, that does make me feel less odd. Perhaps, the GP is a better option than therapy?Thank you for the offer of a phone call, but unfortunately, I find the problem a little too embarrassing to discuss out-of-text.Thanks,
K
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

you are welcome

do talk to your doctor about treatments for depression which could help you

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com