Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

About a week or so ago, whilst driving, I was sneezing and

Customer Question

About a week or so ago, whilst driving, I was sneezing and noticed a slight strained sensation in my scrotum (I’ve looked at a diagram and it didn’t feel like my testicle, it felt more around the Vas Deferens area, as it felt like it was more where my scrotum attaches to my inner thigh) and it felt similar to that if I were to sneeze the day after doing a lot of exercise and there being a muscular strain ‘pinch’ almost in my stomach say, kind of like a muscle soreness.
I also noticed that this too happened sometimes whilst I was yawning, but it only appeared to happen whilst I was sitting down, either at my desk or whilst driving. I also noticed that whilst sat down, I could feel my penis almost shrivelling and almost retracting back into my scrotum whilst I was sitting down (I am also circumcised if this is a relevant detail).
Recently I have also put on a bit of weight, I would say between half a stone and three quarters of a stone, and have noticed lately that my trousers are, obviously, tighter and so are my boxer shorts, so I put the penis shrivelling back into the scrotum whilst sat down to the fat that my boxers and trousers were restricting me a lot more.
Then this week, the dull achey feeling has appeared a bit more, not just when sneezing or yawning, again it just feels like a very dull ache and it feels like how my muscles would the day after exercising, that kind of Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness feeling. Its tolerable and isn’t painful at all, its just something that I can feel most of the time.
That said, during most of the day whilst working and not thinking about it, I cannot feel anything, but when I think about it, or read about my symptoms, the feeling is amplified, which I guess is a psychological thing? First thing in the morning I don’t feel it, and it only takes until about mid-morning for me to notice it, and even then I wouldn’t say its uncomfortable, more just a constant dull ache. I guess I could also describe it as a form of ‘phantom’ ache, as it is not my testicle that aches, and it feels like an ache that is ‘floating’ in my scrotum right by where the top of my scrotum is attached to my body.
I have no other symptoms to indicate an infection or an STI, as I have no increased urged to urinate, nor does it itch or burn whilst I urinate, I also have had no discharges and I have no abdominal pain. I am also in a long term relationship so I have no cause to believe it to be an STI. Neither of my testicles are swollen either.
I have also, due to previously mentioned weight loss, returned to the gym, where instead of working on weights (I used to be a heavy gym user approx 8-9 months ago and worked on weights), I have been working on more cardio exercises and have been using the exercise bike and rowing machine a bit more.
I say that because I’m unsure if I could of possibly twisted or strained something whilst exercising (in previously mentioned tighter boxer shorts allowing less space, which I don’t know is relevant or not).
I am aware that if I would of twisted a testicle I would be in a lot of pain, again with an infection I have read that I would be in pain, but this is just an ache.
So I’m just concerned as to what it could be and if it would be anything to worry about or whether I should wait for it to subside?
One thing that I have noticed, and again I don’t know if this is relevant, but could be due to my boxer shorts being a lot tighter than they used to be (I am purchasing new ones by the way :-) ) but the tip of my penis is sometimes, on the right side at the top, sensitive when I pull my boxers up over it, but I think this has happened to me before, I think I’m just paranoid that it could all be linked. But again I have no sores, no aggrevations etc on or around my penis.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other medical problems?

Have you been seen for this?

Any tests done recently?

Are you on any medications for anything?

Please let me know.

Kindest rewgards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiNo other medical problems, I haven't been seen for this yet I just wanted to possibly get an idea of what it could be. No tests for anything recently, no medications.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I'm at work and so cannot accept a phone call currently
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the late response as I was away.

If possible I would like to discuss your situation over the phone for better satisfaction.

I have reduced my phone call rate for you.