Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I can't take NSAIDs because I am taking ciclosporin

I can't take NSAIDs because I am taking ciclosporin 100mg twice a day for psoriasis, I was taking naproxen twice a day before.I have scheuermann's disease and I get neck, thoracic and lower back pain and muscular/joint pain in my lower back. I take tramadol 100mg x 4 a day for the back pain with paracetamol and 10mg of amitriyptyline at night.I was wondering what alternatives to NSAIDs could I take for lower back muscle pain?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Well, the only alternatives for oral NSAIDs are opiod analgesics like Tramadol, nalbuphine, morphine etc.

Another option is to use Capsaicin gels for pain relief which are locally applied and work as a pain killer very effectively.

Massage therapy, hot fomentation, stretches and physical therapy are all way to relieve lower back muscle pain and spasms.

Paracetamol or Acetaminiphen can also be used in place of NSAIDs.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best regards.