Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My Husband has recently had inguinal hernia surgery 9 days

Customer Question

My Husband has recently had inguinal hernia surgery 9 days ago. He has now had 4 heavy bleeds from his wound within 3 days from the previous one, these have been happening in the early hours of the morning. We have been back to the Clinic twice where he had the surgery. Doctor appears to think it is an haemotoma. He had another bleed in the early hours of this morning. I have put another dressing on the wound until we go back again to the Clinic later this morning. Have you seen this in a patient before and why is the wound continuing to bleed every 2-3days.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, I have seen bleeding that has recurred over a week or two after surgery, either as bleeding or from a haematoma, but there is no single reason why bleeding can occur. A haematoma is a collection of blood in the tissue that can occur after surgery. When to blood collects, it will form a clot. As the body heals, it will soften and liquefy the clot from the surface inwards, and this liquified blood clot may ooze from the wound until the entire haematoma is healed. In this setting, the person is not having new bleeding over a week or two, but rather had a single episode of bleeding that formed the haematoma, and the oozing blood is coming from the haematoma

If he is having ongoing bleeding from the wound, then it would be appropriate to consider whether there is a condition that can increase the risk of bleeding. Bleeding is one of the possible complications of any surgery, but there are certain conditions that are associated with an increased risk of bleeding. One of the common conditions that increases the risk for bleeding is liver disease, since the liver is the site for formation of most of the proteins involved in forming blood clots. There are also certain genetic conditions that affect the formation of these blood clot proteins. Certain chronic inflammatory conditions also can affect the ability to form blood clots. It is also possible to have bleeding associated with low levels of platelets.

Since the doctor thinks that there is a haematoma, there is less need to perform an evaluation for a tendency to bleed. But if there is new bleeding that is recurring over a week or two, it would be appropriate to check blood tests of clotting ability, called a PT & PTT and a platelet count.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.