Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My four and a half year old has a blue tinge around s mouth,

Customer Question

My four and a half year old has a blue tinge around his mouth, we have noticed it on and off since he was born, but medical professionals reassured us and said it was nothing to worry about. More recently I mentioned it to our doctor during a check up (he is being tested for asthma) and he said he will refer us for tests because it sounds like cyanosis. Doctor is very good, checked his oxygen levels (all fine), listened to heart and lungs (no murmur) and checked pulse, but he is still referring us (very attentive and good GP) but in the meantime I am worried, mostly because my husband had a congenital heart problem, artery nearly collapsed and had a stent fitted when he was in his early 30s. I just wondered if the blue tinge is likely to be related to heart? Although he has a lot of chest infections (more than my older two boys) he is in good health, good appetite and lots of energy, although he seems to get out of breath more easily than my other boys - welcome your advice! Many thanks
JA: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: Hm, I can't think of any other relevant details - he sometimes seems like he is gasping for more air, but I am not sure whether this is just a habit
JA: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

the blue tinge around the mouth is most likely not due to a heart issue.

it is most likely due to veins just under the skin causing the blue color

that is good your child has good oxygen levels in the blood and is in good health, good appetite and lots of energy.

sometimes veins just under the skin can cause an area like the lips to look blue or have a blue tinge.

you can upload a clear jpg photo of his lips, I would be happy to look at it.

but it doesn't sound like it is a sign of problems or heart problems.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr David, thank you very much for your reply - that is reassuring while we wait for our referral! One question, the blue tinge is not always present - my boy is mixed race, olive colour - it sometimes appears after he has been exercising, when he is cross or unwell. He is asleep currently but I will send a photograph tomorrow, if that is okay? Many thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just to add, I have noticed it since he was a newborn!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

you are welcome

that is good he is sleeping.

I would not stress about the blue color

you can send a photo if you would like

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much - I will send a photo tomorrow!
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

of course.

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. David, apologies, one final question - why would the blue tinge come and go? Sometimes it is quite pronounced (even allowing for different lighting, etc.) at other times, barely visible?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

veins can swell and contract under the skin and cause more or less blue tinge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you very much
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

you are welcome.