Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

I have a abcess on my gum not affecting my tooth, its large

Customer Question

I have a abcess on my gum not affecting my tooth, its large and ive got most of the puss out myself not able to go to my dentist untill next week because of transport problems, why have i got this and what should i do? Is this a sign or oral cancer, Im worried, please help me, my mouth is painfull and im in a lot of pain
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

this is Dr. David

I can not examine your mouth or abscess

do you have a history of smoking and drinking alcohol? these can increase your risks for oral cancers.

a large abscess needs to be biopsied to see if there is cancer cells in there.

you need oral antibiotics or IV antibiotics to help fight the oral infection for the abscess to get better

you need to see a doctor right away about this

you can go to your local hospital or A&E department and have a doctor there start you on antibiotics.

you should be rinsing your mouth with salt water as often as you can to kill bacteria in your mouth

the A&E doctor should give you pain medications as well

let me know if you have questions.