Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I have had puffy eyes. sore joints, muscle aches. an

I have had puffy eyes. sore joints, muscle aches. an extremely sore throat (very low and on the right hand side) swollen neck glands and fever for 2 days now. i fear this is a viral infection rather than a bacterial one and so haven´t gone to get antibiotics. I have been taking paracetamol as painkillers (I caannot take Ibuprofen as I am asthmatic). I have also been resting, drinking, eating, loose stools but still everything is moving ok! I have had this before just before coldsores but this time I have just got over one and then got the sore throat. I was wondering if this is a Herpes infection. Please could you help me by telling me what I can do to alievate the sore throat and joint pain! Thank you!
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

You are doing right in taking paracetamol.You may take up to 6 tablets of 500mg in a day in divided doses for pain and fever relief.

In addition you should be doing warm saline gargles to decease inflammation in the throat and use honey ginger lozenges frequently as they are effective in soothing the throat.

Do keep yourself well hydrated.

If there is mucus discharge from throat or nose you may also an anti allergic like benadryl or zyrtec.

It is not possible to tell if this is due to herpes unless cold sores occur.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have just finished a 2 week cold sore and the last time I had the exact same sore throat etc I then had a 2 week coldsore overlapping at the end of it. THIS is why I am asking if this is Herpes.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also if it IS Herpes what can I do as it is a virus without a specific antiviral treatment?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 6 months ago.

Sorry for the late answer.

I had to go offline for urgent duty.

We need to consider a couple of factors.

Associated symptoms of sore throat, enlarged glands etc.. are more common during the primary herpes infection and are not usually a feature of recurrent infection.Therefore it is less likely to be due to herpes infection.

On the other hand upper respiratory tract infection can trigger a recurrent attack of herpes infection and therefore it is possible that your earlier experience of cold sore overlapping the sore throat is a result of URTI triggering cold sore recurrence.Similar sequence can happen again.

You may keep a watch for cold sore recurrence as you may get tingling, itching or burning sensation before the blisters form.In that case anti viral drugs like acyclovir can help decrease the duration and severity of herpes recurrence.

There is no other way to deal with it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I looked up VIRAL SYNDROME symptoms and I reckon that this could be my non-specific viral infection!
Either way, it appears I am doing everything I have to already!
Thank you for putting my mind at rest!!!! Have a great afternoon!
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 6 months ago.

Thanks and best of luck.

Do take a moment to rate my answer as this is the only way we get credited for our work and time on this website.

You can come back to ask if you forgot anything even after you have rated the answer.

Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience: MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.