Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My son is 23 and about 18 months ago began to get raised red

Customer Question

My son is 23 and about 18 months ago began to get raised red patches on his arms. He treated them with the usual emollients and moisturizers but they did not improve very much. By November last year the condition had spread to his thighs, upper arms, tops of his feet, hands and cheeks. He had seen 3 different doctors at our GP surgery, one thought it was psoriasis and another, a severe allergic reaction to something. He was referred to a dermatologist at our local hospital. The appointment came through for January but by December his face, feet and thighs were weeping and the skin below his eyebrows was thick, dry and encrusted. We took him privately to see a skin specialist. He was prescribed anti biotics, different creams and a course of steroids. At that point he thought it was eczema.
Things seemed to improve but after a few months the patches of red, inflamed, raised, dry, itchy and sometimes weeping skin came back and now have spread to his back and stomach, both of which are covered except for a small area on each which is OK.
The doctor my son saw at our local hospital suggested allergy testing but his skin was never clear enough for a 'true' result.
At present, practically my son's whole body is affected. He cannot sleep, he is going to work but does not want to go out socially. The condition is affecting his whole life. We don't really know who to turn to now. My son has changed his diet (to a more healthy one) and has tried various natural organic creams and oils from Health Food shops.
He has never had a blood test and we are wondering if there could be some underlying condition that is causing his skin to erupt in this way? We would be grateful for your opinion.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

the needs a skin biopsy to help with proper diagnosis.

it sounds like he could have bad psoriasis or an autoimmune skin condition.

there are systemic psoriasis treatment which tends to be more expensive which he hasn't received yet which could help his condition if he has psoriasis

treatments such as Enbrel or Humira or Cyclosporin or Remicade or even methotrexate to help suppress his immune system which could help his skin condition.

he needs to get his skin doctors to do a skin biopsy for him as soon as possible to help with getting the diagnosis for psoriasis.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician