DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

My neutrophil count is 10.1 and it has been consistently gh.

my neutrophil count is 10.1 and it has been consistently high. Full blood count and blood film smear test was done and no abnormal or immature white cells were seen. Any advice
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

Neutrophilia or high neutrophil count in the blood can have various reasons.

Commonly encountered causes are bacterial infections,certain inflammatory conditions,burns,some blood disorders,use of certain drugs,smoking,certain hematological malignancies and metabolic derangement. Now if you have a persistently high neutrophil count and you do not have any other symptoms and your peripheral blood film is also normal then it is not something to worry about. Sometime no cause for a high neutrophil count is found in which case it is called as chronic idiopathic neutrophilia. My advise would be to see your doctor for an examination to assess if you require any further investigation for the cause of high neutrophil count. If you don,t have any other symptom to suggest a reason for this than you have chronic idiopathic neutrophilia which is a benign condition and you need not to worry about it. Smoking is an important cause in otherwise healthy individuals

Here is a write up about this condition

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/208576-overview#a2

Good luck

Feel free to ask if you have any more question

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have joint pains in my knees and also I am waiting for medial cartilage tear key hole surgery but they have postponed it until the blood is sorted out. Initially my platelets were 965 but they have come down to 540 but still above norm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also if the blood film showed no abnormal cells then does it mean that I do not have leukaemia. Thus is worrying me

Ok now this significant if you have a high platelet count as well.A condition called primary polycythemia also leads to a high neutrophils and platelets.Essential thrombocytosis is another such condition

A normal peripheral blood film rules out leukemia in most of the cases but in some cases bone marrow is required. I would suggest to have an opinion from hematologist about this and then to go for further testing accordingly

Good luck