DR. EHTISHAM
DR. EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I have in the last 48 hours had unprotected intercourse with

I have in the last 48 hours had unprotected sexual intercourse with a woman who was a complete stranger I met on a night out. I am a 30 year old male with no previous medical issues. To say I am worried is an understatement as I have never done this before and am seriously worried as to the repercussions of my actions. I am not showing any symptoms but really want some advise as to what I should do next. What are the chances that I have contracted an STD or even worse HIV?? Any advise would be appreciated.
Expert:  DR. EHTISHAM replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

Two things to do here

First keep an eye if you develop any symptoms like urinary burning,pus in urine or a rash in the genital area.

Secondly test for HIV should be taken as well .The most accurate results are at 12 weeks but even at times it takes six months before which it get positive.So it should be tested.

Also in the meanwhile a screening test for various STI,s should be taken. Although these tests yield more positive results when a person is symptomatic but initial infections can be asymptomatic. I would suggest to have an appointment with an STI clinic and get tested. In the meanwhile avoid having unprotected sex with someone stranger and adapt safe sex practices.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if you have any more question

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** like to do this test discreetly and I am able to order tests to arrive in the post and then send back for results. What STDS should I be testing for and what are the chances I have contracted anything at all. I am very worried as I already have a partner. Thank you

You should be tested for Chlamydia,gonorhea,HIV,HBV,HCV,Herpes and syphillis.

The chances of acquiring these infections are variable .For example HIV transmission can range from 0.3 to 3 % and also variable for other diseases.It also depend upon the type of exposure,high risk sexual activities and multiple other factors.

Following is the schedule for STD and HIV testing after exposure. For HIV and HBV and HCV test can be repeated at six month also as very rarely it get positive late

• Chlamydia - anytime from 1 week to 3 weeks
  • Gonorrhea - anytime from 2 days to 30
  • Syphilis - anytime from 10 days to 3 months
  • Herpes – anytime from 2 weeks to 3 months
  • Hepatitis B – anytime from 3 weeks to 2 months
  • Hepatitis C – anytime up to 6 months
  • HIV – anytime from 4 weeks to 3 months

Good luck