Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My wife has interstitial cystitis, and would be happy to pay

Customer Question

My wife has interstitial cystitis, and would be happy to pay for a private consultation but would then if necessary be referred for nhs treatment. Any suggestions.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Your GP is correct that the usual next step would be consultation with a Urologist. Depending upon the symptoms that are present, though, the evaluation may need to include other specific studies, such as cystoscopy. If you want to pay for a private Urologist to perform the evaluation, that would be fine, but that may also mean paying for the additional studies, such as the cystoscopy.

If you would rather avoid having to pay for the additional studies, then it may be better to wait for the appointment with the NHS Urologist that is a month away.

Of course, a major component of the decision making would depend upon the severity of symptoms. Most people can readily wait a month or two for the evaluation, but if more severe symptoms are present, then a more rapid evaluation would have more value.

Is there any additional specific information that you are seeking?

I have heard that any additional information would be helpful.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that, unfortunately it does not tell me anything I had not known. I will pay to get an initial check with a professional urologist and take it from there.

Yes, the likelihood would be better for May than for June, because it is more likely that ovulation may be a couple days late than four days early.

Not only is it possible, but it is very common, most often as a non-specific response to stress. A missed period is so common, we do not consider it worthy of performing any evaluation beyond a pregnancy test until three months of periods are missed.

I am sorry, but I answer to another question got mixed in the system.

If there is any information that would be helpful to you, then let me know.