DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am 82 years old, it has come to recently that I seem to

Hi, I am 82 years old, it has come to recently that I seem to have a erection
malfunction, a really hard erection. Could this be because of my age?, or maybe
I am missing out of some kind of stimulation. for example. my diet. though I must
confess, I do eat things that are good, but then again,I do have a sweet tooth.
My wife is younger than myself and unfortunately I cannot satisfy her needs.
I just wonder if you can help me somehow. The only medication I am using is
warfarin, due to an operation I had some 20 odd years ago
Thanking you in anticipation
Ron
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a hard erection? Is that the problem or do you not have an erection at all? Please elaborate.

What condition are you taking warfarin for?

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The erection I would say is just middling, nothing stiff and hard as it used to be. Insertion is not on.
As regards ***** ***** I am taking is due to an operation for thrombosis of the gut,20 odd years ago
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Okay, then the warfarin is not the problem.

Having an erection at all rules out most of the organic conditions of Erectile dysfunction, but this seems to be due to either a lack of blood flow to the penis or due to nerve insensitivity. Both of these can be attributed to age.

However, before any conclusions are drawn, a thorough investigation needs to be done, examination, doppler ultrasound, MRI and nerve conduction studies.

There are medication to rectify the issue and if medical therapy is not acceptable then surgical insertion of penile implants can solve the issue. Your Urologist can help you with all this.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

HIThere can be many reasons for not getting a full erection.Having a partial erection does not rule out all organic conditions.Heart diseaseLow testosterone [it is NOT due to ageing]New diabetesOther circulation problems.Psychological problemsProstate diseaseMedication effects.You need to see an internist.This would not have an indication for MRI or nerve conduction studies off the bat.Exam first.Diagnoses first.Find me anytime, I am a double board certified clinical doctor.Please click a positive rating.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.