Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I have a pain in my left ear, it feels hot and sore. I have

Hi, I have a pain in my left ear, it feels hot and sore. I have noticed what looks like a white thin vein in the upper ear and that seems to be where the pain is coming from.
Are you able to give me some idea as to what is causing the discomfort please?
Kind regards, Andrew
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Andrew, how long have you had this? Have you recently travelled outside the country?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I have had it for the last 2 to 3 weeks. No I've not travelled outside the country.
Kind regards, Andrew
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure where the white vein bit has gone now, but it still becomes sore at various times throughout the day. Please see attached picture.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the picture. Can you describe the area that you are concerned about? Your ear looks to be within normal limits overall, and I don't see any obvious signs of trauma, bug bite, infection, etc. It can be a bit tricky, however, as the ear is a very vascular structure and its colors can vary from one part to another depending on how dilated or constricted the blood vessels are in each region. This, in turn, can be influenced by external factors such as ambient temperature, or internal factors such as one's emotional state. If you had a dilated vein present before, it may have constricted or flattened to the point where you can no longer see it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Bob, I am wondering if its sunburn, it seems to be getting better day by day and the pain is no where near as bad as it was when I first contacted you. Maybe the vein got damaged in some way or the sunburn made it extra sensitive?
I will keep an eye on it and see if after the next couple days the pain goes away if that's ok?
Thanks for your kind help and keep up the good work
Kind regards,
Andrew
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Yes, sunburn could certainly do this...and a couple more days may make all the difference. :-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks very much, soreness and itchyness has become much more tolerable.
Thank you for your help.
Kind regards,
Andrew