Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Low hemaglobin of 105 plus ferritin 8, female aged 66. Hb

Low hemaglobin of 105 plus ferritin 8, female aged 66. Hb back in 2013 was 11.5. Is this something to be worried about ?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 8 months ago.

Hi thanks for your question. My name is***** and I will be helping you today. Yes both your hemoglobin and ferritin are low but they are not alarmingly low. This indicates deficient of iron most likely. Your next step should be to see a hematologist. He may start you on iron pills and test you again after a month. If the levels continues to be low, they can go for further testing like stool for occult blood, colonoscopy (if there is blood in stool) bone marrow biopsy etc but for now starting with iron is the answer and I reassure you that if other tests are normal, you shouldn't worry about anything serious. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service but if you have received anything less, please ask anything you want. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated. Regards

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok u see the gp here is thinking of sending her fur colonoscopy and endoscopy as she is over 65. This has got me worried . Hemaglobin is not very low but ferritin is right at 8?

Thanks a lot for your Input. You should go according the advice of the GP but he should get her stool test for occult blood. If that's normal then there is no need of colonoscopy. 8 is not very low level so please don't stress yourself. I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service but if you have received anything less, please ask anything you want as I am here to assist you till you are satisfied. Please remember to rate my answer. Regards

Anything else that you want to ask? Please feel free. Regards

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
can this indicate malignancy ? Low hb and low ferritin

Absolutely not. Take my words. Please rate my answer to proceed. Come back when needed. Regards

Cancer is out of question with this reading. Regards

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry last question .... What kind of reading would indicate cancer in the digestive tract? I read anemia may be a sign of stomach or bowel cancers
Please don't trust online information. It just scares you and do nothing else. For low iron and hemoglobin cancer is the last thing we could think of. It's just due to low iron and that's all. I reassure you that there is no chance of cancer. All the best. Please remember to rate the answer. Regards
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery