Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

You know when you wake up having slept,on your arm and it

Customer Question

You know when you wake up having slept,on your arm and it has no feeling so,you need to wake it up and it gently tingles back to normal? Well I have had 2 episodes of waking up during the night with my whole right leg being completely numb and it is scary! It takes me some time to get it back to normal.I keep getting occasional tingles in my arm and leg.Just I go my GP and mention this ?I'm - 46 year old female, a stressful life (husband has a brain injury)
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

When having tingling or numbness in an extremity upon awakening, it is usually due to pressure on one or more of the nerves that serve the extremity. After you get up and relieve the pressure, then the nerve will gradually resume functioning, although the time until function returns will vary depending upon the amount and duration of pressure on the nerve.

If it is happening more frequently, then it is reasonable to ask your doctor whether there is any condition that would increase the risk of this happening, such as an underlying nerve disorder or musculoskeletal conditions that cause swelling along the course of the nerve and increase the likelihood of pressure on the nerve.

It is also important to note that there are also non-medical reasons why this may be happening more often, such as a mattress that is old.

Yes, the first step would be to see your GP and mention the symptoms that you are experiencing.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.