Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have a sore scalp, small hard scabs that are itchy and

I have a sore scalp, small hard scabs that are itchy and sometimes painful. I have tried all types of prescription shampoos and two types of lotions. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The scabs are only on my scalp and they are firmly stuck. If they come off they white and quite thick. I have no other medical problems but I do have excema on my hands and feet due to excessive washing. I have tried reducing my hair washing to every other day and used coal tar shampoo, nisoral etc and had vitamin d lotion and steroid lotion but no different. They can be quite painful,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had the scabs for approx 2 years and they are always there, in the same places. If I remove them they come back, if I leave them they just remain and are unlikely to fall off. I do have some flaky scalp as well, that itches and flakes when I scratch.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 1 year ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you need to see a dermatologist and get a scalp biopsy

you could have scalp psoriasis or an early skin cancer or fungal infection or bad eczema on your scalp

you may need steroid creams or antifungal shampoos

do you have a doctor you can see who can refer you to see a dermatologist and get you a scalp biopsy to help with diagnosis?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have seen my gp and been given steroid lotion. I will get a referral to get the biopsies. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

you are welcome

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician