Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had skin problems #6 months told I was stressed.

I have had skin problems for 5#6 months told I was stressed. specially my scalp .I was told i was stressed now I have a large swelling at the back of my headand find that there is hair trapped (quite a length)which will only come away accompanied by a stickiness when the skin is treated with balsamic vinegar before shampoi suspect malassezia but...
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a close-up picture of the scalp in this area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry i cannot as ido not ave a camera, but ill give you more detail. there seems to be a rosette formation of hard white scaly particles and the hair and stickiness emerges from the center. this closes over when the clump ofhaircomes out. there are 2 more smaller scale areas like this on the scalp at the top of the ears
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can feel scaliness all across the scalp. he web of my fingers and toes also are ithcing

From the description, it could be a Malassezia infection. However, a definitive diagnosis would require an examination and possibly a microscopic examination of a scraping of the scalp. Reviewing a picture is not as accurate as a live examination, but it is usually better than a description. Another option that you can try without seeing your doctor would be a trial of an anti-fungal shampoo, such as ketoconazole shampoo and see if the symptoms improve. The ketoconazole shampoo is available over the counter in various brand names, although the original brand name was Nizoral.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.