Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I was scratched by an animal and I think I'm showing initial

Customer Question

I was scratched by an animal and I think I'm showing initial signs of rabies
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I was scratched while traveling in Morocco on the 7'th of June, started the 5 dose verorab course on the 14th of June. will have my 5th dose Tuesday
Assistant: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I’d be happy to assist you.

What are your symptoms?

Which animal has scratched you?

Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I was scratched by a cat in Morocco on my ankle. I'm experiencing headaches since Monday, occasional nausea, lack of appetite and problems sleeping. I have tingling sensation in my scratched foot (whole foot from ankle down) since Thursday and occasional pain in my calf and thigh.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also VERY high anxiety

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,your symptoms are not related to rabies and you have already taken 4 doses of verorab so I definitely assure you that chances of developing rabies are very less to negligible.

Possibly your symptoms can be associated with viral infection.

Your tingling sensation and pain radiating to leg can be associated with nerve compression in it's path.

So you should do gentle massage with muscle relaxant ointment.
Do leg stretching.

Take OTC Motrin,Prilosec.

And see your doctor for further evaluation and management.

Sometimes headache,muscle pains,nausea are adverse effects of vaccine and last for few days.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Waiting for your response.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The 4th dose of the vaccine was 11 days ago, would the side effects last that long?Also I'm not talking about rabies in it's full form, I'm talking about the first few days taht looks like flu like symptoms.Also, sometimes when I swallow water I feel a bit of pain on the right side of my throat.and have a dry mouth, this has been an on and off symptom for weeks now, and it's probably the main reason for my anxiety (along with my current headache).

These symptoms are not related to vaccine and side effects usually last for 2-3 days.

As you are suffering from few weeks so viral upper respiratory tract infection can be possible cause.

You should do saline gargles and oral betadine gargles.

Also take OTC Motrin and Prilosec.

Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids with Gatorade,warm liquids.

And see your doctor for throat examination for further evaluation and management.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please to not forget a positive rating and avoid poor/bad rating.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.

May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'm looking up the medicine you recommended.I'm still worried about rabies, you say it doesn't sound like the initial symptoms to you? And that it's most likely something different?If it is a respiratory infection and I start gargling, in how many days should I see and improvement?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry I'm taking so long, my anxiety is through the roof :(

I understand your worry.

However you had already taken 4 doses so there is very less chance to develop rabies.

It's upper respiratory tract infection and you should try all such self care measures.

Do gargles for 5 days twice a day and you see good results.

Also start a multivitamin supplement.

Please let me know if you have any questions, otherwise please click on POSITIVE RATING ! Thank you!
It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience: M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** to the pharmacy and get Betadine to start the gargles.

Take OTC Motrin and Prilosec also.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Can't find betadine or any iodine based mouthwash, please advise.

Saline gargles can tried.

A saltwater gargle — 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt dissolved in an 8-ounce glass of warm water and do gargles.