Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a swelling around my eye and red patches on my nose

Customer Question

I have a swelling around my eye and red patches on my nose and cheeks.
My doctor prescribed me Doxycycline 50 mg for 28 days and thought it was Rocecea. I have just 2 tablets left and my condition has not improved. I am now on holiday and am not sure what it could be . Any idea ? Regards Lonny
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the red patches?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A picture just taken

Thank you for the picture.

I agree with your doctor that this looks like rosacea. If the oral doxycycline is not helping, then the medicine that I would usually consider next would be topical metronidazole, a different antibiotic. However, this medicine is a prescription medicine in most countries. The best that can be obtained over the counter would be a retinoid, such as tretinoin or retinol. The tretinoin is stronger if you can get it, but is only over the counter in certain countries. The retinol is more widely available.

I would also note that if you are out in the sub much during your holiday, using a strong sunscreen would be important because sun exposure can make it much worse.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the past I have had Rosacea with just redness but now I often wake up with a swelling around and under my left eye. Any explanation for that ?

In many people with rosacea, the long term course can be progressive, so that the symptoms will get gradually worse over time. Even in people with intermittent symptoms, the flare-ups can be progressive, so that the exacerbations can get worse over time.