Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I have a bit of a strange question but I am lost so I am

Customer Question

Good morning,
I have a bit of a strange question but I am lost for answers so I am really hoping someone can help.
My partner is a nail and brow technician and found out one of her customers is HIV positive. This does raise some concerns for us. One obviously for the risk of spreading any virus and secondly if her public liability will be voided.
So its kind of a couple of questions.
Is it safe for my partner and her other customers for her to do nail work and brow work on this customer, should any special precautions be taken?
We need to speak to the insurance company again but they did mention the customer should be able to provide a "doctors note", we can only assume this is to state that the customer is not at any risk but our concern is more the risk to others.
Any information you can help us with is greatly appreciated.
James
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I’d be happy to assist you.

I understand your concern.

There is no risk of HIV transmission from touching skin of HIV infection person.

HIV is extremely weak outside of the human body. It breaks down immediately once it comes into contact with the air.

There wouldn't be any cut on your partner fingers and no open wound on HIV infection person.

HIV transmission from one person's cut to another can only occur when both cuts are extremely deep, gaping, and actively bleeding.

Otherwise she can wear gloves for protection and disinfect tools after use.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.
Waiting for your response.
It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please to not forget a positive rating and avoid poor/bad rating.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I am just trying to find out from my partner if she wants any further information.Thank you for your patienceJames

Please let me know if you have any questions, otherwise please click on POSITIVE RATING ! Thank you!
It's request to avoid poor/bad rating.
Best Wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be ok for me to forward my partners questions to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know if a doctor would provide a letter to confirm that a nail or brow treatment would be safe for insurance purposes (public liability) if a patient with the condition asked for one and also if the doctor thinks I'm at risk.

To be on safe side your partner can wear gloves.

In routine doctors don't provide such letters.

Usually doctors suggest to follow universal precautions and technical staff wear gloves while dealing with HIV patients.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If her insurance company is requesting such a note though in order for them to insure her is a doctor able to issue one?
The issue being if the insurance company won't offer insurance without a note and she is unable to provide a note we have a problem as my partner must have public liability insurance by law and without the note she would have to say she can't do any treatments which we gather could be discrimination.Thank you for your time

If the insurance company is requesting such a note than doctor may be able to issue such a note.

Since it is known fact that HIV transmission don't occur from such treatments.

Wish for good health.
May I help you further?
Waiting for your response.