Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I had been taking iron tablets (ferrous fumarate) over a

Customer Question

I had been taking iron tablets (ferrous fumarate) for just over a week (one per day) but as they were making me feel ill I stopped taking them on Tuesday night. I have been feeling ill and having lose stools. Last night my stomach pain last night caused me to get no sleep. I know it can a while for Iron to leave your system and it can cause irritation but I just wondered if it was normal to continue for this long. Thank you
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question.

Iron preparations take about 4 days to start showing their effects and side effects can also last for many days after stopping.

The effects staying so long is normal and you need to give some more time for side effects to go away.

Still if stomach pains are severe and persist it would be safer to have a doctor look at you to rule out any other cause causing the abdominal pain.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

I am a different expert. It is not normal for diarrhea, loose stools, to persist a week after stopping iron pills.

I would strongly recommend that you should be evaluated further and have a stool test to rule out an infection.

This session is open for any further questions that you may have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options at your end on the top right hand corner as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited on here for helping you out.
Kindest regards

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your reply. Would you recommend calling NHS 24 to see a Dr today or will it be ok to wait till my doctors surgery is open tomorrow?
Thank you again
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

You can book an appointment with the GP.

I am sorry for the late response as I was away all day today.

Kindest regards