wieyedoc
wieyedoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Over two decades of clinical practice. Completed a medical internship in New York City
48069651

Thank you previous advise but my son has been told he has

Customer Question

Thank you for your previous advise but my son has been told he has Myoclonus due to the lorazepam which is giving him jerks, and sleepless nights.Have you heard of this before and is there any advise you can give to help him sleep. He is extremely tired and stressed.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 months ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for contacting me. No i haven't found an answer yet and would really appreciate any advise you can give me to help my son
Thank you for getting back to me and apologies that you have not received an answer yet. We have a range of Professionals online all the time. However specialties differ, and we are searching for the right professional to assist you.
Should you wish to close your question and reverse your charges at any time please let me know.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

At this point the best thing for your son to do would be to have a complete medical evaluation followed by a sleep study.

This is the best way to figure out what is going on and what might be causing his jerks and problems with a good nights rest.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has had a sleep study and various tests including urine and stool tests. They revealed that he was deficient in B12. Is it possible that he could see a neurologist that is experienced with these sorts of sleep problems (SSRI side effects such as myoclonic jerks).
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 months ago.

Yes. That would be very possible.

He might want to go to a Major University Teaching Hospital for this evaluation.

At an institution like that he could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, how easy is it to arrange something like this?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 months ago.

In the USA? It just takes a phone call to make an appointment....

In the UK? Probably need to get a referral from your primary care MD and then wait......

But I'm sure it can be done...

I wish your son the very best. As a father of five I can understand what you are going through.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Unfortunately he has been de-registered from his surgery as he is currently living and working in Spain. Is there anything that he can do?
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 months ago.

he might have to travel to the USA for treatment/evaluation or go back to the UK and be re-registered.

Paying out of pocket would be a (very expensive) option but would be possible.

Is there any indigent/medical hardship care available in Spain?

I'd check all sources of Social Services that might be willing to help your son

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will ask if he can re-register with his UK practice. Won't he need to be living in the UK though? Are there any private practices you can recommend in the UK that specialise in neurology/ sleep disorders. Also, where would he look in the States?Thank you.
Expert:  wieyedoc replied 4 months ago.

I do not know about places in the UK but in the USA I would suggest he consult at The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/patient-visitor-guide/minnesota

I wish you and your son the very best.

Dr. Rick MD FACS