DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Dear Dr, many thanks time. I'm a doctor myself but I 'd like

Dear Dr,
many thanks for your time. I'm a doctor myself but I 'd like a second brain regarding my husband's symtpoms post B/L hip replacement (dysplasia and early arthritis, years of playing American football. It's now 3 months post op. He has pain mainly on the left leg,started a little over 4 weeks ago, anterior side that starts low in his shin and works its way up to his thigh. No tingling. No buttock symptoms. No back pain. To me this does not fit any common nerve damage symptoms.
Unfortunately he still uses his crutches which is frustrating to say the least.
He has seen his surgeon, a few weeks back - as a routine f/u apt, and all good from his side. Xray looks perfect and implants are looking great.
Thank you for your time
PS: currently on ciclosporin for psoriasis - started 4 weeks ago
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

To me it fits low spine problems with the discs.

There can be a highly variable pain presentation, even if there is not overt nerve compression.

In fact, piriformus muscle strain can contribute to the overall picture.

If it is the outside of the thigh, Ilieotibial band strain or contraction can also be involved.

It is impossible to say exactly without a full structural exam, which is what he should have and this should be done by a physiatrist [PM&R] given the situation.

In a situation like this, it is often a combination of deficits that is producing the picture.

I think he needs that exam, an x ray of the prosthesis on that side, and an MRI of the lower spine, as long as his prostheses are compatible with MRI.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/