DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I ate a spacecake in Amsterdam and from what i read online

Hi..i ate a spacecake in Amsterdam and from what i read online had an allergic reaction (eyes swelled up, itchy eyes and throat, red spots around eyes besides the anxiety & sensory distortion, which i didn't expect (thought it'd be giggles and relaxed high)) - all this went away after a few hours but its been over 24hrs and my eyeballs still have red spots and i'm now worried. How can i best treat the residual effects? Awkward to visit GP on this one..
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

We do not treat, and this is not self treatment.

You need an exam.

If it is part of an allergic reaction, it will clear up without treatment.

If it is an allergic reaction that is not resolving, the doctor will either prescribe antihistamines, or a steroid taper, which is prescription.

That depends on the exam as to which.

Please remember that we answer specific questions. We do not replace a doctors visit that is needed.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it normal though? What would cause the discolouration on the eyeball like that? Have you seen similar allergic reactions to pollen etc? Should i be concerned if no vision impairment experienced?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Don't know. I can not see it.

You can attach a picture here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached a few pics
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

This is called subconjuntival hemorrhage.

It is usually harmless and clears up on its own.

Sometimes it can reflect an elevation of blood pressure or other problems.

So, likely OK, but a good reason to see your doctor.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks very much.