Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Can asprin cause low iron?

Customer Question

Can asprin cause low iron ?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Aspirin is not known to cause low iron directly, however, in long term users which have gastritis and acid peptic disease due to aspirin which results in gastrointestinal bleeding, this bleeding can result in iron deficiency anemia.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service, by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see. Well
My mother is 66 and had hemaglobin of 11.5 in 2013 and now 10.5.Ferritin is 8 and this was done first time .Is this concerning ?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for reply.

Her ferritin is low which signifies iron deficiency anemia. She need iron supplements and increase iron intake in diet like lean meat, green leafy vegetables.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this a malignancy sign as she's over 65? Bowel cancer and stomach cancer cause blood loss right?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

No it is not necessarily a sign of malignancy. She might have iron deficiency in diet.

Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which is more of concern for a malignancy hemaglobin or ferritin ?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Malignancy is not established by ferritin levels or hemoglobin. This is not a malignancy is diagnosed.

Neither Hemoglobin nor ferritin levels predict or rule out a malignancy.

Regards.