DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I've been taking Premarin 0.625mg tablets over 5 months now

Customer Question

I've been taking Premarin 0.625mg tablets for just over 5 months now and although they have totally stopped my hot flushes and insomnia, I have been bleeding for almost 5 weeks now, sometimes it's very light and patchy and other times it's bright red, heavy and clotty - should I be concerned or is this normal? I'm 47 and before starting HRT, I was suffering with night sweats, bad insomnia and hot flushes but these have all gone, but being on a period so long is starting to get me down.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

this should prompt an exam.

this can simply be that you need a different hormone preparation, most likely./

But it can be from a lesion in the uterus, you need an ultrasound.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the literature that came with the tablets it says that it can take up to 6 months for things to level off, should I wait until I'm due to get some more tablets (in the next month) or make an appointment with GP beforehand?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I would see your doctor now, as it is the safer thing to do.