Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

Horrendous itch 24/7. 87 year old and with constant itching.

Customer Question

Horrendous itch 24/7. 87 year old and with constant itching. I take 8 piroton per day and 2 fexofenadine 180mg. I have cancer but not in liver. please help me
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Olive. So your liver and kidneys are healthy? Is the itch in certain places, or all over your body?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all over.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a rash or any skin lesions? Is skin dryness a problem?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Obviously, if the cause of your itch can be determined, you have a better chance of getting it under control. Hopefully, your doctors are working on this. In the meantime, you should avoid hot water and drying soaps as these strip the skin of protective oils and make it more ithcy...regardless of the underyling reasons. After your shower or bath, you should pat your skin dry and then apply a moisturizer while the skin is still damp...in order to lock in the moisture.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Medication-wise, you should consider doxepin or amitriptyline if the piroton is not working. These are usually more effective. In addition, case reports in severe itch associated with malignancy have reported success with the NKR1 antagonist aprepitant. This is under investigation for neuropathic itch and nodular prurigo.