Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I'm a 25 year old male. I currently weigh around 34.5stone

Hi, I'm a 25 year old male. I currently weigh around 34.5stone and I am 5ft10". I do not have any serious health problems at the moment and wondered if it would be safe for me to go onto a conventional diet. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kieran. What do you mean by a "conventional diet"? Can you describe this for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As in 2000-2500 balanced calories a day. I don't really move around at all so would that be okay?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Yes, as long as the calories are balanced. You might consider taking a single multivitamin daily to cover any deficiencies that might occur during the period of your restricted diet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Look forward to your phone call.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kieran. I'm not in a position to field a call right now. Would you like to work with another expert?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that is fine. It's not a problem. I was going to ask if it is possible to lose enough weight from my size now to become a reasonable healthy weight by doing it through diet rather than surgery. Because be honest with me? At my weight and age, right now I'll be lucky to see 30 years old right?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Yes, of course you can lose enough weight through diet alone. This can be very difficult, however, without an exercise component. You did not get this size overnight, and you cannot undo the weigh overnight. It can take years, and requires a high level of motivation and discipline.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

That said, bariatric surgery is becoming more and more common, and many of the risks and complications have been worked out to the point of it being a very safe approach in most individuals. This also requires a fairly high level of motivation and discipline, as well as the psychological fitness to endure the healing process and the process of keeping the weight off.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

I have seen many success stories. Your overall health is a very important factor, of course, as is the experience and skill of your surgeons.