Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Can you predict my baby gender from my 13 week scan plz

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

It is not possible to accurately predict the gender from the 13 week scan and you should ask your doctor for the gender when you go to the second scan which is carried out at around 18-21 weeks. This will be more accurate.

Take care.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello. This is Dr. Love, a different expert.

I have a different opinion than the previous expert.

f you are asking if an online doctor can predict the baby gender with accuracy, the answer is no. Any picture of the ultrasound that you can attach to this discussion would be a static image. The studies that have been done at predicting gender are done using dynamic imaging, which means that the person doing the ultrasound can adjust the location and orientation of the ultrasound device to try to identify the genitalia. This allows them to look at multiple images of the genital area.

Within the context of these studies, there are some women in whom an adequate visualization of the genitals can be accomplished at 13 weeks. The ultrasound will become more accurate with time, and by 20 weeks, it is more likely that an adequate visualization can be accomplished. There is no stage at which gender prediction is 100%, but by 20 weeks, it is certainly about 90-95%, and in some studies as high as 98%.

So. if you are asking whether the gender can be predicted online using an image that you can attach to the discussion, the answer is no. However, if you are asking whether it can be done by the ultrasonographer based on a 13 week ultrasound, the answer is sometimes yes, but not consistently as can be done at 20 weeks. If you are interested in knowing the gender, it would be appropriate to discuss this with the ultrasonographer as the ultrasound is being done, so that they can adjust the ultrasound accordingly.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.