Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have what started as two large spots on my chin area,

I have what started as two large spots on my chin area, which seem to not be healing and look infected?
I currently have strep throat and I'm taking antibiotics for that. Could that be linked in anyway? I've been treating it at home with germaline (spelling?) but wanted to know if I should be visiting the doctor for this? It's very embarrassing and looks Unhygienic! Thanks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The Strep that causes Strep throat would not cause a skin infection on the chin. One of the common germs that can cause skin infections is a type of Strep, but it is a different strain than the Strep that causes Strep throat.

As for the chin spots, it would help if you could attach a picture of these spots.

What antibiotic are you taking for the Strep throat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pictures attached.
Thank you for clarifying the different types of strep bacteria.
In currently taking Phenoxymethylpenicillin 250mg x2 4times a day.
Thanks again

These areas on the chin do look like they are infected. The common germs that can cause skin infections are various strains of Strep and Staph. While the Strep strains are different than the strains that cause a Strep throat, they will tend to respond to similar antibiotics, particularly if using a form that achieves high systemic levels, including the form of penicillin that you are taking.

The issue in this situation is that penicillin is not as effective at treating the various strains of Staph that commonly causes skin infections.

Since the antibiotic that you are taking may treat some of the germs that may be causing the skin infection, it is reasonable to give it a few days to see if the skin improves. If the skin does not improve after a few days of the penicillin, then it would be appropriate to see your doctor for consideration of an antibiotic that will better cover the Staph strains that can infect the skin, such as cephalexin.

It is fine to continue the Germoline along with the penicillin, but the antibiotics will be the primary mode of killing the germs involved in a skin infection.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Brilliant- thank you very much for your help!

You are most welcome.