DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My mother is on enalapril maleate 5mg, elantan 20mg,

my mother is on enalapril maleate 5mg, elantan 20mg, spironolactone 25mg, dixon 0.25mg and lasix 40mg. she is 86 years and has never been investigated for cardiac problems. she is complaining of muscle pains, tremors, swelling of the lips and joint pains especially knees. recently she has been falling from bed. i just want to find out about this combination of tablets. Florence Daniel
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

There are multiple potential interactions.

In addition, spironolactone and lasix can raise her digoxin levels.

She is at risk for dig toxicity, and this would account for many of her symptoms.

She needs to be investigated for cardiac problems as well as arthritis.

I suggest you take here to a geriatrician or internist.

If that is not possible, you should have a serious conversation with her GP about a cardiology consultation.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/