Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Rather oddly, I've been getting pain from a scar on my upper

Rather oddly, I've been getting pain from a scar on my upper abdomen when I exercise. When I twist or perform exercises where I strongly tense my abdominal muscles, I often feel a sharp pain where the scar is located.
The scar looks quite a lot like this in terms of size, shape and location: http://i.imgur.com/7SmwPFs.jpg
I've somewhat recently become a lot more active and the discomfort from the scar is making it harder for me to exercise, so I was wondering if anything could be done to the scar to resolve the issue. I have tried taking painkillers but I tend to get unpleasant side effects from them so I don't think that that is a valid long-term approach for me.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Aaron
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this question

I would put some topical capsaicin cream on it.

that will help

also, as you are more and more active, the scar tissue will break up and the pain will resolve

this is only temporary

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for using justanswer.com