DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have a small patch of skin on my lower gum that peels

I have a small patch of skin on my lower gum that peels (goes white then peels off) I've had this problem in other areas of my mouth in the past and seen a maxilofacial consultant who thought it was frictional. This small patch was seen by a dentist and said if it doesn't heal to go back. It seems to heal up then it'll come back, do you have any ideas what this is? If I'm honest I'm completely terrified I have mouth cancer as i checked Google (I know I shouldn't have) I'm 35, female, otherwise healthy, don't smoke (I did years ago) don't drink much maybe three drinks we month and I eat well lots of fruit and veg and take supplements. I did have a brace last year do now wear a plastic retainer at night, I've checked and this doesn't seem to tough the affected area although I know I do grind my teeth at night
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

It is not cancer, which does not go away and come back.

Your consultant is probably correct.

They should also swab it for the lab, but I doubt it is thrush.

Leukoplakia develops in areas of friction in the mouth.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I should do to help heal this? I travel to the USA lots and just this week bought orajel mouthwash which has hydrogen peroxide in it
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I would not use oragel.

I would hold coconut oil in the mouth in the morning, swishing, from 4 to 20 minutes, then rinse.

This has a much better effect, and has an effect on the gums and teeth overall which is beneficial.

oragel might simply cause more irritation.

Please click a positive rating.

Find me anytime by request.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm unable to send a photo would I be able to email it to you just to set my mind at ease?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had requested a phone call, however, I do not need this service if I'm able to email a photo, my apologies
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

I don't do phone calls.

You can attach a photo here using the paper clip icon.

You can call customer service for help.

, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've attached a photo thanks for your time
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Superficial, harmless, benign.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/